October 14, 2008: Homework Assignment No. 1
Top Student Wins a Global Knife
For this Technique Tuesday, we want you to put what you have learned to the test. You saw this coming; right? What is school without a little bit of homework? The most rewarding part of learning how to cook is when you actually find yourself starting to cook without a recipe…so let’s begin!
In many professional kitchens, chefs often have cooking competitions called “black box” competitions. During a set period of time, chefs must use one or more “mystery” ingredient(s) to cook a dish. If you have seen “Iron Chef” then you get the idea. This black box is a bit different.
For this homework assignment, we want you to create a recipe using some of the skills you’ve learned so far and enter it into our Test Kitchen. Any recipe can be submitted, however, there are a few guidelines.
For your homework to qualify, you must:
1. Copy and paste the following text into the “Notes” section at the bottom of your recipe. (Rouxbe Homework Assignment No. 1)
2. In the same “Notes” section, you must reference the lesson(s) used in each step of your recipe. For example:
3. Attach as many Drill-downs as possible to each step of your recipe.
4. All submitted recipes must have the ingredients, method and step photos entered.
5. Homework must be submitted by midnight, Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2008 (that means you have 2 full weeks).
All homework will be reviewed by Rouxbe chefs and the community. So, feel free to get your friends involved with voting.
The top student will be announced on Tuesday, November 4th. The top student will be graded on:
- the amount of techniques incorporated or lesson materials used
- the correct use of lesson material (e.g., don’t mix your cake batter for 10 minutes)
- successful and tasty end results
The top student will receive a Global 7″ Knife.
You never know, your recipe might even become a supporting recipe for one of the cooking school lessons. It may even be made into a full video recipe. So get cooking and don’t procrastinate on your homework. You’ll be surprised at how much you have already learned!
The Rouxbe Cooking School Team
p.s. Whether or not you choose to submit homework, this assignment will not affect your grade in the school. As with most homework, it’s all about applying what you have learned, so don’t get stressed out. Have fun cooking and creating without a recipe.
p.p.s. If you have any questions at all, go to the forum post for this lesson. We’re here to help!